forbes (source) :
POST WRITTEN BY
As COO of Optimum7, Duran Inci has developed sophisticated processes resulting in leading-edge marketing and management execution.
When you’re managing an e-commerce operation, now is the time to start preparing for the holiday season. The last quarter of the year represents the most profitable time of the fiscal calendar for businesses. This means that there is a lot of competition. As an online retailer, it is imperative to prepare your e-commerce store for this highly lucrative season as early as possible. The trick is understanding that people don’t like to be sold to. Rather, they peruse the internet for primarily social and leisure purposes. So you must be very strategic.
Here are four e-commerce tricks that you can use to increase your online store’s holiday sales:
Invest In Optimizing Your Website
Optimizing your website is key to having a successful e-commerce operation. Website optimization is all about designing and maintaining your online store to rank well and to convert well: Not just your company’s name, but also the products and services you’re offering. You want your products and services to be on the first page of Google results whenever anyone types targeted keywords. To pull this off, you’ll need to put in an extensive and meticulous amount of work into your website. So, it makes sense to have an ongoing content strategy. One of the best things you can do in the upcoming few months is to optimize your product and service descriptions to be better. This will do wonders for you.
As an internet technology marketing agency, my company sells a service, not a product. It’s imperative that our website is fully optimized so that businesses that are looking to improve their e-commerce operations can find us.
There are literally hundreds of ways to optimize a website, but here are just a few of the more popular strategies that I’ve used for my company:
- Make your website responsive: Approximately 80% of people own a mobile device and conduct most of their shopping this way. Designing a mobile-friendly version of your website will create a better shopping experience for the user. Shoppers will be able to find the product they’re looking for without needing to enlarge the view and slide the screen from left to right in order to navigate. You can complete this task within a few weeks.
- Create great content: Creating authoritative and relevant content on a consistent basis tells users and search engines that your site is active. For product-based businesses, this is a smart way to introduce the different type of products you have to offer along with unique descriptions. Including detailed meta tags and descriptions will also increase the chances of a user clicking on your content when it shows up in the search results.
- For product-based businesses, improve the users’ shopping experience: There’s one surefire way to improve your users’ shopping experience, and that’s by implementing functionalities in your e-commerce store that will expedite the entire shopping and checkout process. Here are a couple of functionalities that you might already be familiar with:
- Abandoned Cart – You may have done this yourself: adding items to an online store only to never follow through with the purchase. Chances are, people are doing the same thing to your online store. With the abandoned cart functionality, you now have the opportunity to remind shoppers about the items they left in their cart by sending them a friendly email.
- Estimated Delivery Dates – Around the holiday season, delivery dates are especially important. Providing an estimated delivery date depending on the purchaser’s zip code is a valuable functionality a shopper can use.
Update Your Social Media Accounts
Now is the time to start updating your social media accounts. If you’re trying to sell to online shoppers, social media accounts are the best way to reach out to potential buyers without spamming them. Facebook is a smart tool to start presenting your products to users now, before the holiday season. Through this particular platform, you’ll be able to create a targeted audience and then create an informative ad with the strategy that brings awareness to your company, your brand and your products. Remember, you don’t want to sell — not right now. The objective is to gain visibility social media sector.
For my company, I created relevant videos that were related to my line of business, but would also attract browsers’ attention. We produced informative animated videos — perfect content for Instagram. None of these videos had a call-to-action. We were simply putting ourselves in a position where our audience would be familiar enough with us when it’s time to sell!